Adalu is an easy, one pot, beans and corn porridge or stew. It is a traditional vegan Nigerian recipe, however similar stews are cooked throughout West Africa. There are many variations so feel free to put your own spin on it once you know the basic ingredients! This recipe is great if you are vegan, pegan, or just eat healthy!
Vegan Nigerian Recipe: Beans and Corn Stew
Adalu aka Beans and Corn
- Beans: I used Black beans here but Black eye peas or Nigerian oloyin beans are preferred typically cooked from dry for 50mins until soft.
- Sweet Corn: Fresh corn or frozen corn
- Diced Tomato or Tomato Paste
- Ata Gungun aka Nigerian Red Pepper or Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- Garlic Clove
- Spices: You can use your own combination of spices on hand I suggest curry powder, cumin, salt, thyme and veggie bouillon
- Start with beans cooked (either from dry or canned)
- Blend onion, tomato, and pepper together
- Combine all ingredients in one pot and let cook for 30-50 mins on low to medium heat.
- Let sit to cool and then serve or refrigerate
Comment below or dm me on Instagram @TheFancyFrancy to let me know if you try this recipe! Have you tried vegan food before or do you plan to try it?! Be sure to watch quick tiktok video showing this recipe and save the pin below for easy access!